The Centennial Tournament was held with a record number of teams entering, including a secondary schools’ section with 10 entries. Waitaki Girls' High School beat New Plymouth Girls' High School to win the trophy. The annual Conference and visits from Australia and England teams were cancelled due to the war.


Despite the wartime restrictions and difficulty of travelling, the 1941 Rotorua-hosted national Tournament proceeded but with fewer teams and just one from the South Island.

1942 - 1944

There were no Council meetings or national tournaments held between 1942 and 1944. Petrol restrictions impacted on country associations and their ability to travel, forcing some to go into recess.


Acknowledged as the Majority Year for the NZBA, a tournament was held in Christchurch where several associated functions helped raise donations which were directed to Servicemen’s Hospitals around the country. This was seen as a fitting way to mark the end of the war.


With the return of the annual national tournament and with it the re-affiliation of several associations and the prospect of new affiliations forming, its re-organisation became a pressing matter. It was eventually decided that First Grade should play each year, that Second and Third Grades should play with First Garde in alternate years and that every third year, a full tournament would be held.


A momentous year which marked a turning point in the Silver Ferns history when New Zealand hosted its first overseas team, Australia, while forging the start of one of sport’s great rivalries. The matches were played under seven-a-side rules with the hope that eventually a uniform set of rules would be achieved. It was an extensive tour of the country by Australia with three tests being played in Dunedin, New Plymouth and Auckland. Various New Zealand team members played against Australia with different captains for each match (Oonah Murray, Beverley Avery and Betty Plant). Australia won all three tests against New Zealand (27-26, 44-13, 44- 22), plus nine matches played against provincial teams, and a match against a representative Māori team. However, in an unofficial nine-a-side game, a combined Ashburton-Temuka-South Canterbury side beat Australia by 29-21, Australia’s only loss during their visit. 

A conference between Australian officials, the NZBA and NZBRA found agreement on many rulings but no alteration was made to the numbers of players in a team, this remaining at seven for international matches.

The retirements of President Myrtle Muir (Mrs H D Muir) and treasurer Betty Armstrong resulted in Netball New Zealand Life Membership for the industrious pair. The headquarters of the New Zealand Executive was moved to Christchurch with Mrs Elaine Lane becoming President.


Former President (1932 – 1949) Myrtle Muir and treasurer Betty Armstrong are formally honoured with Life Membership.